It is important start thinking early on about what you would like to be doing during your career. It can be helpful to look at the areas that those who have come before you have explored, and to think about the suggestions provided by those who have gone through the process you are going through right now. Take a look at the information provided on this page and then consider making an appointment with SSU's excellent Career Center for more detail and additional advice.
Career Tips & Ideas
- Be familiar with current events and use that knowledge in interviews.
- Include travel to other countries in your resumé.
- Network and attend job fairs.
- Get connected with local culture and commerce organizations.
- Develop business and technical skills to complement academic skills.
- Complete an internship at your job or in an area that interests you.
Employers of CALS Grads
- Public and Private Schools
- Hospitals and Medical Offices
- Local and State Government
- Law Firms and Criminal Justice Organizations
- International Student Programs
- Local and National companies
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Banks and Financial Institutions
Humanities Grads Appeal to Employers
Many qualities make CALS graduates attractive to potential employers. Some of these include:
- can work well with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- have a heightened understanding of verbal and non-verbal communication.
- have advanced reading comprehension and writing skills.
- can multi-task and plan.
Advanced Degrees Held by CALS Grads
- Law and Criminal Justice
- Immigration Law
- Social Work
- Teaching Credentials, both single-subject and multiple-subject
- Cultural Studies
- Chicano & Latino Studies
- Public Administration
- Business Administration
- Winery Management
- Information Technology
- Fine Arts/Graphic Arts